Monday, July 26, 2010

Things I Should Have Learned by Now





1) I can sunburn. I always think it won't happen, and then ya know what? It does. Not a whole lot, and most of the time it's only a day before it turns tan, but sometimes? It hurts. Like, aloe vera/can't-sleep-at-night hurts. Like even just sitting in a chair at a computer, say, typing a blog, it feels as if there's smoldering embers between my shoulder blades. Why do I continue to think I'm invincible?!




2) I can't drink more than four sips of carbonation without getting sick. I've just got to own up to that. No matter how much I like the taste of root beer with pizza, or Vanilla Coke with anything...it's not worth it. In a future book, called "The Science of Sodas", I'm hoping the authors will use my story as a cautionary tale. Do not stop drinking carbonation for more than three years if you truly love it. You will never be able to handle it again.
(Ok, truthfully, I don't miss soda that much and it does feel way better not to drink it, but just every once in a while I get these cravings... and I really shouldn't indulge. At least not more than four sips. Not unless I'm willing to fully accept the consequences that it WILL turn my stomach upside-down.)




3) How to say 'foliage'. It wasn't until just this last weekend that I realized that sometimes I say 'foil-age'. Obviously, in my mind I get the i and the l reversed depending on my mood. Luckily this isn't a word that has come up too often in discussions, and if you say it fast enough no one's the wiser, but nevertheless, this is super embarrassing. Almost as embarrassing as thinking that 'eavesdropping' was 'E's dropping', or that 'soo' (with two o's, as in 'soo much') is a real word. You know who you are.



Anyway, despite these humbling realizations, this last Pioneer Weekend was great. The definite highlight was going boating with Brooke, Preston and Sierra, even if it did result in my uncomfortable state. And, believe it or not, seven years after my last attempt, it turns out-- I can wakeboard! Talk about something I should have learned by now...

5 comments:

  1. Was the last time you went wake-boarding with me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I'd rather say foilage and get up on the wakeboard then correct the way you say it and not get up on the wakeboard.

    Also... can you post a picture of your sunburn? Like... the part in the back where there is just a strip of skin that is still white?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ana, I think maybe that is the last time I tried! So I guess that was only maybe, I dunno, five years ago? Which is still crazy to think about.. That was with that Steve kid you worked with, right? That is funny...

    And no, Sierra... I don't have a picture of my white strip of skin, and I think that's for the best. I'm hoping our vacation next week, we'll see a lot of sun, and it will be like that little strip of white skin never even happened...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tiff I found you! I love the birth of your new blog its darling. Oh and I really hope you dont really look like that lady in the top pic :/

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahaha Tiffany! Thank you making my day! I love you!

    ReplyDelete