Wednesday, September 29, 2021

Arthur vs. The Sixth Graders

Arthur is 6 years old. Arthur is in first grade. His birthday is in May, so he is one of the youngest first graders. He also has strong Thomas genes, which means, he's probably not going to have a future in the NBA. All this to paint the picture that Arthur Thomas Greene is a little guy.




 

This is also Arthur's first year at school, because he was homeschooled during his year of Kindergarten. It has been so interesting and entertaining to see him navigate this new world, and I look forward every afternoon to picking the kids up and getting a glimpse into these lives they lead outside of my view. 

Like yesterday, when Arthur acted out what he does when he goes to the bathroom at school. He told me that when there's a big kid in the bathroom, he is really still in the stall and doesn't make a sound. Unless the hand dryer is on then he'll go about his business, but once it turns off he freezes again until they leave. 👀

I wish you could see his reenactment- it's so funny! Like he's a little gazelle, and the 6th graders are these big lions to be wary of. (He did also mention the kid got a wad of wet toilet paper and threw it on the ceiling before he left though, so sounds like the classification of a wild animal is not too far off...) 

It also made my heart break just a tiny bit, to learn that he feels nervous and uneasy around the bigger kids. But I'm proud of him for figuring out a way to cope and be brave! Hiding in the grasslands is a totally valid means of survival. 







p.s. A quick footnote since I'm posting for the first time in five years... 

I haven't been great about documenting these longer anecdotes in my journals. (Writing by hand is hard??) And I hate the idea that these great memories are going to fade away- I mean the kids are growing SO FAST. While it feels like "of course I'm not going to forget that time Avery got so excited and dressed up to teach an art class to the kids in her class" - I might! I really might! 

So, "idea bomb" (an Arthurism also worth remembering)- resurrect my blog! I think I have 10 close friends and family following this, and they probably won't even notice that I'm posting (who follows blogs anymore??) so- it's ideal! The forthcoming content is going to be for only the biggest Avery and Arthur fans anyway. (Well, and I guess Tiffany and Sean fans are welcome too, but they say a lot less cute things...) Stay tuned to see if I actually keep making posts though??


p.p.s. Some pictures of Avery the Artiste! She's teaching them how to draw a cute bunny today. :)






No comments:

Post a Comment